The course is comprised of two components: a college component and a sea service component.
· The college component of the course involves approximately 15 weeks undertaking classroom training and is aligned to the education requirements for certification as an Integrated Ratings as described in Marine Orders Part 3.
· The sea service component of the course involves 36 weeks at sea undertaking “on the job” training.
Please visit the AMSA website for more information about Marine Qualifications.
During your seatime, TAGS books will need completed during your sea service component and submitted to the college for marking.
TAGS Book 1 covers the first 12 weeks of your seatime
TAGS Books 2 – 5 covers the remaining 24 weeks.
Once all course components are complete and your books have been marked, the Institute will provide you with a completion letter for AMSA.
To be eligible for an AMSA certification of proficiency, and work as an Integrated Rating, you must:
• Complete the approved training course (ie TDM30307)
• Be over 18 years of age
• Complete at least 36 weeks qualifying sea service on a designated ship
• Hold a current AMSA certificate of medical fitness
Note: You must gain 36 weeks of approved sea service BEFORE you are eligible to apply to AMSA for a Certificate of Competency.
See the AMSA website for further information: http://www.amsa.gov.au/Marine_Qualifications/Sea_Service_Guides/Guidelines.asp